Tuesday, September 28, 2010

"Scotch, scotch, scotch, down to my belly ..."

A week or so ago, I wrote about smoking cigars. I don't smoke them often, but when I do I smoke good ones. The same goes for whiskey. Aside from a Jack & Coke every now and then, when I drink whiskey I prefer it straight up and top shelf. Sometimes middle shelf will do. Some of my favorites are Single Barrel Jack (bourbon), Crown Royal (Canadian), Jamison (Irish whiskey), Chivas Regal, and Macallan 12 ( both Scotch). This weekend I tried five whiskeys that I have never had. Cheap? No. Please forgive me for not giving detailed descriptions of how they taste. I'm a rookie whiskey connoisseur.

The first thing I tried was The Glenlivet 12 years. I had two because it was that good.
 
Saturday evening I tried two different whiskeys. J&B and Dewar's White Label. I wasn't crazy about J&B, but Dewars was pretty good on the rocks.
Sunday night I tried a new bourbon on the market from the makers of Makers Mark. Makers 46. This came highly recommended by a fellow whiskey drinker. This tasted like the original Makers Mark but a bit smoother. Smoother even though it's 94 proof. Excellent drink. I had it again Sunday.

The cherry on the pie, the icing on the cake, the blue ribbon winner was the Macallan 18. This was similar to the 12 year old version, but this had more of a kick. It finished very nice though. It wasn't what I was expecting, but good. I had to pay to experience this delight. About $50 to be exact, but it was worth it. 

No comments:

Post a Comment